By: Carly Lang (@Carly_Lang18)

The end of summer means peak internship season is coming to a close! Many of us are now saying goodbye to our summer offices and gearing up for another school year.

One of the most exciting parts of the PR industry is the variety the field offers. No one day or one internship are the same. Here’s a look into what I spent most of my time doing as an intern for the Meijer State Games of Michigan!

9:00 a.m. 

As a part-time intern, I had the luxury of starting an hour later than the full-time staff in the office. My first order of business for the day is checking my emails for any tasks that may have been sent my way while I was out of the office. A benefit to coming into the office later than the full-timers was by this time in the day, there was usually a few new tasks in my inbox waiting for me to complete!

9:30 a.m.

After all my emails have been addressed, it’s time to dive right into my daily to-do list. At the top of my list, every day was to check the analytics of our hockey tournament registration. Based on our analytics, I would send out emails to all the traveling participants about lodging information to ensure we are boosting economic growth in Grand Rapids! 

10:00 a.m.

Next, it’s time to write a weekly press release for the upcoming summer games. I wrote a press release each week leading up to our main event, following topics like the announcement of the tournament schedules or our 10-year anniversary celebration. After writing and a lot of editing, I’d send my press release over to my boss to get it approved for distribution. 

10:30 a.m. 

A lot of my time as a PR intern was spent researching. There were constantly new ideas within our marketing team to research, like how to revamp our annual photo contest or finding relatable articles to utilize on our social media.

11:00 a.m.

My next task for the day typically included creating and scheduling Twitter content. With an ongoing editorial calendar, I planned our future Tweets to schedule for posting on our Twitter account. These posts usually revolved around articles I previously researched that could be related to our summer games. After planning out my editorial calendar, it’s time to schedule post dates with the website Planable. Planable was a huge help in keeping our posts consistent and organized!

11:30 a.m.

By now my boss has read through my press release and it’s almost time to post! Before distributing the release I clean it up a bit following a few suggestions from my boss. The next half hour is spent perfecting an email to send out to local media contacts and updating our website with the latest press release. 

12:00 p.m.

With a small staff, we try to have team meetings as often as possible. During our meeting everyone gives a briefing on what they have been working on that day and what they have planned for the week ahead. With a staff of about eight people, almost everything intertwined with someone else’s work. Meetings were a great way to help each other out with similar projects and bounce ideas off one another. 

12:30 p.m.

The last half hour of my day is spent cleaning up loose ends and suggestions given to me during our staff meeting, such as researching banner advertisements or tweaking a blog post. 

1:00 p.m.

Before I know it my busy day of work is over! Now it’s time to write out my to-do list for tomorrow and head home!

It’s hard to say how similar my internship experience may

have been to others or those looking for an idea of what interning may be like, but that’s the beauty of PR. There’s a new experience to be had every day.


Carly is a senior studying Advertising & Public Relations, graduating in December of 2019. This is her second year involved in PRSSA. Currently, she serves as the Development & Events Intern at WMCAT. After graduation, Carly hopes to move back home to the Chicago area to pursue an agency position in the city. In her free time, she enjoys being active and spending time with her dog, Ivy.